Friday, January 1, 2010

Corn Problem...Fixed

During my research I read that dried corn can contain a fungus which can cause cancer in rats when fed excessively. Not wanting to risk my little fuzz butts getting sick, I stopped feeding any snack that had whole or crushed pieces of corn in it.

Sadly, every treat stick in the aisle for small animals had corn in it! I thought this would be the end of the treats my little fuzzies love the most.

Then I decided to look at the treat sticks for birds. There were some that had no corn pieces in them. They looked to be made out of the same exact seeds, fruits, everything. So I decided to grab one to see if my Lucky and Cupid would like it. The bird sticks are usually much bigger so I cut a piece off and put it in their cage. Right away they began to nibble at it. Looks like it got 4 tiny thumbs up! Now they can get their treat sticks without all the big pieces of whole dried corn.

The kind of bird stick I got was Lafeber's Nutri-Meals. Has 31% dried fruit and veggies and 36% pellets: cranberries, raisins, sweet potatoes, and walnuts, millet seeds (2 kinds), and oats. Sounds like good ratty food to me.

Also for treats, I grabbed some dried papaya. They loved that too! Started nibbling right away. Not picky at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment