Thursday, December 24, 2009

Some info I found online and can say yes or no to personally...

I saw on one website that soft furred rats can reach 5 inches long (not including he tail) Cupid's parents were indeed about 5 inches long so i can conclude:

Max size: 5 inches

I also saw online that they have virtually NO smell. I can conclude this information is indeed correct. These little guys have no smell and my most favorite thing to do is rub my nose into their fur.

I've read on a few sites that they are nippy and do not make good pets. Well that's not the case here. If you buy them pretty young like I have, they are extremely easy to tame as long as you are calm and slow and I believe any animal that is afraid will bite so just take your time, be gentle and present food to your little critter. The best way to start handling from what I've learned so far, is to scoop them up into your hands and cup them while keeping your hands close to the bottom of their cage in case they escape. Do this everyday and in a few weeks your little natal will climb up your arm to be with you.

Food and water seem pretty basic as far as what I've read on the internet. The usual rodent food pellets, seed treat sticks, and dry dog food is the bulk of what I feed them. They also get little pieces of bread, crackers, cereal (not the sugary kind), fruit and veggies here and there when I'm snacking. I read that they eat bugs like super worms but I haven't tried yet. So far they have eaten pretty much everything I've put in there.

Everything else like cage, water supply, bedding, toys, ect is basic rodent care. All around easy information to find.


Other Names for this rat include
Natal Multimammate Rat, Common African Rat, Soft-furred or African Soft-furred Rat. Mine were sold under the name Dwarf rat.

This site has some very good info!

No comments:

Post a Comment